Every year, we decide to take a family vacation to someone who lives far away. We have only begun this tradition when we decided that our kids are capable of not moaning too much about the distance we have to traverse. One new idea of late that helps is to play audio books (rather than DVDs) to keep the kids' minds focused on something other than the long drive. The nice part is that while the story is playing, they still can look outside and see things. Plus it prevents that nauseating, stomach turning feeling Luke gets from looking at a screen too long while driving.
In years before, we have went to Seaside (just Coralie and I), Shawn's (including Lake Tahoe and Big Tree), St. George and Zion's National Park, Yellowstone (with April and Grandpa Stark), Ryan's in Coeur D'Alene, and this year we decided to go to Seattle and visit Jeff's place and Aunt Robin and Claire's home. Because it is 8 hours from here to there, this trip required Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I actually liked it. We listened to the whole thing in about 16 hours. I never plan on reading the books but listening is a great option. Next year (fingers crossed), we'll go to Katie and Jared's in North Dakota where we will be able to listen to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. (Yes you live that far away)!
But we arrived in Tacoma to Aunt Robins on a sunny Wednesday afternoon where we had a scavenger hunt, water balloon fights,
(Colton pelting Robin)
(Yup, I hosed April with the left over water. I may have enjoyed that a little. Not sure what she thought.)
and dinner. Shawn brought his brood up also which made for a pretty cool evening.
Here the girls are refilling the balloons for cousin Stacy who drove up form Portland to see us.
She got worked over as well.
But the big moment (and Sadie's most favoritist part of the trip) came when a doe and a buck came strolling through. She about exploded in a loud girly shriek that would put Banshies to shame; she had to cover her mouth. But then the nature hunt was on. Claire led the pack towards utopian unity tracking the doe for at least 45 minutes through people's yards and through every clime until the doe stopped. Sadie even fed it an apple placing it on the ground and backing away allowing for the animal to approach and eat. Having not witnessed the grandeur of the moment, I imagine the scene from legend when the princess approaches the unicorn to touch it, pixies and all.
At lease I got a snap shot of the prize.
We slept every night at Jeff's house which was absolutely fun. I have a great brother. Thanks Jeff! The next day, we all (with Jeff this time) took the ferry to Seattle and walked around downtown.
While the kids were busy watching for Metroids (jelly fish) and seals, I caught this cool picture of Liono (?) from Thundercats. She is one cute kiddo. Enjoy the pictures.
Near the Downtown Markets
The cousins infront of a metallic squid.
Jaden is the cutest thing since a pink pearl necklace. She loved us and we loved her.
Riding the Monorail
We eventually made it to the Space Needle which was neat. But my squad decided to play in the massive fountain there. It spurt water to the rhythm of music. My favorite was "Ode to Joy" by Beethoven. I called this rendition "Ode to [kids thinking that they can outsmart and out maneuver the massive silver water ball because they think the know everything and have yet to learn what the term 'grand finale' means] Joy. I liked it because the ball completely exploded water at the end covering the kids in an unexpected torrent. There was nothing they could do to avoid it. Of course me, in an effort to get our kids so we can go home, thinking that I am any smarter than them, got toasted forgetting the human element of surprise, Jeff. Who do you think is in the red t-shirt cursing the guy in the black? I still feel cold... wet... socks! >:{
I was ticked at Coralie because she didn't warn me. She affirms the opposite in that ESP and wishful intentions should count. If you look closely though and study the evidence in the above picture, (and ask who is taking the snap shot), you can see a white, toothy grin of "warning" from behind the lens. Scandal, that's all I have to say.
That Friday, we made off for Mt. Rainier (8th highest in the planet). Claire and Robin were our guides and we saw some beautiful sights.
Luke running from a chunk of ice that I chucked at him.
My snowball wind up scared Maia so bad that I think what you see here is her ghost. Her body is down at that lodge you see in the background.
Last morning at Jeff's. Skyler is so funny to me. I like that guy. He has a great heart and will make anyone laugh.
Jeff was such a good brother to me and a great host to us all. We went mini-golfing with him and Jaden and had a great time with him. It was good to catch up with him and I hope that it is not the last time we hang out. A big thanks to all (Jeff, April, Shawn, Stacy, Robin, and Claire with respective families) who made this vacation so good. We can't wait to do it again (minus the wet socks).

No comments:
Post a Comment